Thursday, July 10, 2008

Pilgrim Blog: Day 0

Joanne:
Around one and a half years ago (or maybe more? I'm not quite sure), Mrs. Willitts asked me if I wanted to go to Australia.
Hold on...repeat that, please. Australia?
I wasn't actually too sure until the night of the informational meeting, when I told my parents I'd like to attend. I attended, and signed up. I was on board. Oh, the things I was on board for...
We sold calendars, raffled off countless Sox tickets, manned (womanned?) the yard sale, and served an Irish dinner to the parish...after which we had a special dance party with Wally, the Green Monster.
So why did we raise so much money? What's it all about, Alfie?
I should probably figure out if I quoted that song correctly.
The fundraising is for our pilgrimage to Australia. Note: I said pilgrimage. Not vacation. We'll be meeting up with Catholic youth from around the world to celebrate our faith.
Let's stop and reflect on that. Catholic youth...from around the world! Maybe my high school French will finally come in handy!
But in all seriousness, I am very much looking forward to our journey. From the who-even-knows-what-time-it-is flights to an overnight vigil on a racetrack with the pope, I know every part of this pilgrimage will hold something amazing for at least one (or maybe even sixteen) of us Dragaroos (a rare species that comes into form when a dragon becomes friendly with a kangaroo).
I can't really describe what it will be like, except I know it will be a wonderful experience.
And with all this 90 degree weather we're having, I can't wait for Australian winter!

2 comments:

P.H. said...

Nicely put.

See you tomorrow morning.

KCorey said...

Great job Joanne. And yes it is "what's it all about Alfie" Wow do I sound old!!!! :) Hope you guys had a nice pizza dinner in LA LA Land! Safe Travels!~ Talk soon...