Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Pilgrim Blog: Day 11

Paul:
After a double dose of Sunday ended with the adult leaders meeting until after midnight, we got a few hours sleep and were up for a 6 AM grab and go breakfast, on to a shuttle bus, and off to Pearl Harbor. Fr. Matt gathered the young pilgrims to ask them to reflect on their experiences from World Youth Day in Australia and to continue the Pilgrimage in Hawaii. They were to reflect upon who they are and why the Holy Spirit directed them to be here and how the Holy Spirit may direct them to where they need to be in order to help preserve peace on Earth and block conflicts they may encounter. Pope John Paul II said “The Holy Spirit speaks through prayer and bears witness through the people” The experiences we encountered and learned from at Pearl Harbor were far beyond anything that could have been taught in the classroom or learned from any literary form. As a former teacher, I can attest to the fact that students learn far more through concrete examples and participation in group activities than through textbooks and lectures. After seeing a film with actual footage from WW II and the attack on Pearl Harbor, there was hardly a dry eye in the auditorium. A boat trip took us to see the remains of the sunken ships and memorial sites on the harbor during which silence prevailed as we all were moved by this experience of contemplating good vs. evil and military men and women giving their lives to protect Americans. Oil slicks continue to surface from the sunken ships from decades ago; some believe the tears of those who gave their lives for their country are still rising to the surface. It was no coincidence that the song playing on the radio in our mini-van trip home was Lee Greenwood’s “Proud to be an American”. The Holy Spirit again directed this message to us. Upon our return to the hotel, we regrouped to visit St. Augustine by the Sea church to pray the Rosary together. Our decision was to visit the Church first, get lunch, and spend some time on the beach. Again, the Holy Spirit directed us to arrive just before the group from NY was having a Mass celebrated by their priest, Fr. Rick. Our arch rival NY football Giant fans and NY Yankee fans, united in prayer with Red Sox Nation. Fr. Rick’s homily reinforced the “you had to be there” idea of what our Pilgrims really absorbed today. Most important was the fact that a Pilgrimage is a personal encounter with Jesus and very private, even though over 200,000 Pilgrims were all together at the Pope’s Mass. We then hit Burger King for lunch and fun in the sun on Waikakee Beach. I joined in with the kids in a water soccer ball game created by Bill. I’ve renamed the game “hit the old guy in the face with the ball when he’s not looking”. I can honestly say the participation in the game made my entire body pain free this afternoon, which I haven’t experienced in 2 years. As the Pilgrims reflected on where they are headed and how the Holy Spirit may guide them, I felt “been there, done that”. As I reflected through my past I began to realize that maybe I’m not ready for full retirement; being with these awesome, caring kids has made me think I really need to get back into something related to working with kids. I think the Jesus has spoken to me through the Holy Spirit to look to the future with a positive attitude and to put me back where I belong—with the youth—I love them all. Thank you Dragaroos for your encouragement and thoughtfulness over the last 10 days. Oh yeah , went to a luau tonight and came back to meet on the beach with Fr. Matt and our traveling buddies from other parishes to share our experiences of the day. I have to go nighty-bye now so you can just imagine for yourself the fun at the luau and the bus ride tomorrow.
Charlotte arriving in Hawaii on Sunday.
Our Pilgrims taking in the enormity of Pearl Harbor
Old Glory standing proud from inside the memorial.

1 comment:

mjones said...

Thank you for that, Paul. Thank you also for being there for the pilgrims. I know you have been very inspirational, motivating and fun for all. I wish everyone a safe trip home.